Loss Prevention: Tips to Keep Your Pets from Getting Lost
Our focus at Lost Pets of Omaha Area is to get lost pets back home. But the reality is that we wish we didn’t have to do that. We are unusual in that we are an organization that wishes it didn’t have anything to do. Unfortunately, in the last 9 years, we can’t think of any single day in which a pet has not been lost. We have many volunteers that work with us and all have pets. All of us keep in mind that we would be totally embarrassed to have to post our own pets on this page. Yet, we also know that some pets are just escape artists, and things happen that we could never have anticipated.
The most important thing you can do is to get your pet microchipped. If a pet gets lost, a chip can be so important in getting your pet back home fast.
The following are some links and tips that we have compiled on how to keep your pets safe:
- Get your male pets neutered. They are less likely to go roaming.
- Yes, it may be inconvenient, but if your pet tends to jump the fences, take them out on a long line. It is even more inconvenient to pay humane society impound fees or vet charges if a pet is hit by a car.
- When coming in or going out, make sure a pet has to get through more than one door to get outside.
- After windstorms, check your gates and fences to make sure they are all standing.
- After heavy snows, especially drifting snow, make sure that there are no drifts that make it easy to jump your fence.